Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Pre-Travel Jitters

Hello All,

It's Tuesday the 29th and in about 5 hours I depart from Boston to Milan via Frankfurt. After the failed terrorist attempt in Detroit last week, I anticipate an ugly scene at the airport. Also, because I am flying Lufthansa, I do not get the perks of being a United Airlines Premier member... no special treatment, no special seating... I am in row 57 in an aisle seat... I wanted a window, but the plane is full, so I guess I need to count my blessings and be thankful I am not in a middle seat!

I have noticed that I am becoming more and more anxious before my trips. I don't know what that's all about, but I do notice it getting worse as time goes on. Once I actually depart, I tend to be fine. But I have been a basket case for two days, even to the point where I have been feeling queasy, and that is VERY odd, because nothing typically affects my stomach! I feel like I have too much in my luggage, I feel I didn't do enough prep work, I am anxious about not having access to my laptop and having to rely on internet cafes to communicate and research travel plans. I am a little apprehensive about hiring a cab from the Cairo airport to my hotel in Cairo, and I also learned that because I arrive after sundown on Friday in Tel Aviv, this means that the sabbath is in full swing and all public transportation ceases. Great. This could be like a very tense episode of the Amazing Race!

My time in New England has been great. My Aunt Helena is doing well, and we've gone out to lunch and dinner a couple of times together. On Christmas Eve I spent the evening with Joyce and her family, who surprised me with a gift of the first 3 seasons of the TV show The Office, which I only recently discovered and absolutely love. Christmas Day my cousin and his wife hosted a buffet for 27 adult guests, 2 toddlers and 4 large dogs. It was like a three ring circus and I could only cope in small doses, frequently running back over to my Aunt's side of the house to hide out and get some quiet. I also visited with Maggi and the McKinneys on Christmas night... and then it was over, in a flash. I didn't get here until Wednesday night, the next day was Christmas Eve, and now it's over and past. Hard to believe. It was nice to find almost 2 feet of snow on the ground here when I arrived, though a mild rainstorm on the weekend has melted all but the most stubborn drifts. Today the high temperature will only be in the teens. Brrrr.

Have had a few nights of absolutely horrendous dreams about Dominican and the new semester starting and being unprepared. The only bright side is that at least when I wake up I can console myself that I do not have to start school again in 2 weeks! Ugh!

Well, I should get a move on here. Joyce will drive me to the airport in my car today. I arrive in Milano tomorrow and rent a car and will spend Wednesday night near Venice and then going to my friend Brent's place, Priello in Tuscany for New Year's Eve. I hear it's very cold and stormy over there right now.

OK, have a wonderful New Year and I will update the blog as often as possible.

Ciao Tutti,

Matt(eo)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, we'll have to talk more about the jitters...See ya in Cairo on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete